I have started this blog to give myself a place to write about my life living with cancer. However, my cancer does not own me, nor consume me, nor overshadow the rest of my life. I am still myself, and I plan on continuing to be that way.
Which is why I chose the title "Still, Life!" It is a nod to my passion as an artist and my career as an art teacher. Still life paintings are often of food, or flowers, or other inanimate objects with symbolic significance - all subjects I will likely discuss in this blog (seriously, food is awesome). Also, still life artists often play with the concept of mortality in their work - flowers that are just past their prime, fruit on the verge of going bad, flies circling a glass of wine. Having cancer has forced me to think more about mortality than I ever expected to at my age. Be warned: it will come up in this blog. And who knows what other parallels there may be? Other art aficionados may know more about the concepts behind still life painting, or you can peruse the Wikipedia page.
However, the title "Still, Life!" has important punctuation to consider (yay, grammar!). I have cancer, but, I still have life. And I certainly plan to live it as fully and as best as I can while I've got it. Because, why not? There is so much out there to be excited about, to be grateful for, and to love, and I plan to do just that. With an exclamation mark and probably some profanity, dammit!
So, don't expect this blog to be entirely about cancer, because remember, this is about living with cancer. And I wouldn't be doing much living if I only thought and talked about one thing all the time. And besides, I would get really bored writing only about cancer, and you'd be bored reading about it. So, please enjoy the written word of what's inside my head, and thanks for reading.
Love it :)
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to you writing. This is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is fabulous! I am sure I am not the first person to tell you what a strong, beautiful, inspirational, FABULOUS woman you are. But I do mean it from the bottom of my heart. It is an honor to call you a member of my family. You have dealt with everything that has been handed to you with dignity & grace and an unbridled optimism that if you could bottle it would make you a fortune! Sending lots of love and good thoughts your way!
ReplyDeleteYou go, girl. You have a lot of your grandmothers (on both sides) in you, so it's expected that you will kick butt with wit and class. You are an inspiration and a pretty decent artist. :) I look forward to more sharing of your art. Thanks for reminding us what it's all about.
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely AMAZING! I love the humor and wit you have. Whether is is meant to or not, this blog is very motivational. Be you!
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading your blogs. The title is perfect--life affirming!
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteHey Abby! I'm glad you started this blog if only because Colin is terrible at keeping me properly updated on your health-related news aside from broad strokes (treatment continues, they got a dog, that sort of thing). Also, Caribbean Cruise? Awesome!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Abs!
ReplyDeleteIgnore the "Henry Got Crops" deleted post above, that was me, signed in with my farm email :) I love hearing your strong beautiful voice loud and clear in these written words. Much love!
So, Abby, you don't know me from Jack, but I'm a friend of your mom's (a member of the Storm-from-Hell Game Night group), and I just want to thank you for sharing your words through your blog. You've been in my prayers-and-positive thoughts club since last June when Cathy told me your knee "issue" - geez, what a ride you've experienced. Heal well, brave girl, and know that you are loved by people you've never even met (yet!). - Jane
ReplyDelete